Monday, June 1, 2020

Oh, God, forgive us

Family and friends,

This past week felt very slow, until I realized today that it was P-day again. That's just how it works.

We had the awesome chance to do some service with the Sisters who serve in our same ward, doing garden work and also removing an entire retention wall in a member's backyard - obviously, we did the heavy wall destruction and moving and the Sisters did the garden work (but they were carrying around bags of compost and such, which I know are heavy, so I won't complain). It was really fun, actually! It was wonderful to get out of the apartment, and it was also fun doing the service. And the woman who lives there served her mission in Salta, Argentina, so we chatted in Spanish! That was fun. We also killed an adorable little snake we found, which was really angry and hissing but was also very small, which is why it was adorable. But they told us to kill it, so we did. It was quite bloody beheading it with a shovel, but it was a novel experience. That was a good day.

Well, it was a good day until Elder Carter did a baptismal interview for someone that afternoon. It went perfectly well until they got to tithing, then the man exploded at Elder Carter, yelling that he can't afford tithing and that he just wanted to worship Jesus but the Church just wanted to take his money. He even hung up at one point, in his rage. Obviously, he didn't pass the interview, and the other missionaries called him afterwards to see how it went and he screamed at them, too, when he had only ever been civil with everyone before. It's weird when someone goes from a baptismal interview to a "do not contact" in less than a day. That was one of the most exciting things that happened to us this week.

The MOST exciting thing to happen to us, as you might suppose, was the rioting. Yes, there was also rioting in Omaha, and even here in Lincoln. Both cities have curfew from 20:00 to 06:00, enforced by the National Guard. I don't know yet what happened last night, but we did see hundreds upon hundreds of protestors in front of the Capitol in the afternoon when we went to pick up our dinner.

We still can't figure what is the purpose for these riots - do they expect every police officer to go to jail? Or that they all to be perfect people? (That would be optimal, but is impossible.) Or that the entire police force be dissolved across the nation? The latter is the gist I get from all the anarchy, and if that's the case that would be what they'd get: anarchy. Then everyone would see their error, when all government execution of the law is removed. That is the kind of chaos that exists in Hell itself. I've read some commentary regarding Perdition and the state there, and why it would be so terrible: it would be so terrible because there go the people who saw the Light and rejected its law and order, opting for chaos and furthering destruction in their society. All people there are engines of chaos. There is no deeper darkness that I can imagine. That is why God has instituted governments among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, to lead them to emulate a bit closer the government of God as King of kings and Lord of lords. He is a God of order.

In short, though I see great evil in what was done by one officer, he was dealt with justly, charged with murder according to the law, and that should have been the end. I know that as a missionary I'm not supposed to have a political stance, but I'm not taking a political side in this but a moral side; and this is my opinion: "Behold, this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against another; but this is my doctrine, that such things should be done away" (3 Nephi 11:30). I have recently begun to see the vision of this doctrine, and it would be so beautiful and glorious if the people would simply adopt it. But the devil is raging in the hearts of men, exactly as prophesied in the scriptures, and peace has been taken from the earth.

I found it appropriate that as we passed the protesters the song playing in the car had a chorus that said, "Oh, God, forgive us."

I wish I could flood the world with the love of God that I feel, because I know that only His grace or eternal justice can quell the violence of this world; sadly, I already know that it must be eternal justice, and it will be executed when Christ comes again. But that will not keep me in any way from preaching His love to all I can reach - it brings too much joy for me not to do so.

I know that Christ will come soon. I know that we must prepare for His coming so that we may "[go] forth, and thrust [our] hands into his side, and... feel the prints of the nails in his hands and in his feet... and... know of a surety and... bear record, that it [is] he, of whom it was written by the prophets, that should come" (3 Nephi 11:15). I testify that the Messiah already paid for all these trials that have been amassing bit by bit this year; I know that His yoke is easy and His burden is light, and that "whoso believeth in [Him], and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God."

I'll be praying for you all and for the protesters and for the police. May God be with us all.

Love,
Elder Hill

Fotos: 
  • Julie Lucas (para vos, Katie; pero mi cámara es tonta y no saca fotos rápidamente - por eso mi cara está rara), 
  • Un gyro que compramos ayer; 
  • Hay un video que hicieron los Asistentes con mi piedrita blanca cuando estuvieron acá y nosotros estuvimos en una reunión de estaca - es un video inolvidable, les aseguro.
  • y algo muy chistoso que encontré en los ajustes en Facebook para los anuncios - dice que es uno de mis "intereses". 




No comments:

Post a Comment