Monday, October 26, 2020

Weakest Gang I've Ever Seen

Family and friends,

This week we went to do service at the local Bishop's Storehouse, and it was really fun for me! It seemed almost like Walmart stocker work, especially when I was using a pallet jack, so it felt like home to me. I think I'll try to volunteer there often in the future, because I love it so much! Even when I no longer work at Walmart, I can still work in a warehouse and have a similar experience.

One night, we went on a walk around the block with the Elders who live upstairs and those who live across from us, just to get some fresh, chilly air. As we passed by a nearby McDonald's, a man in the drive-thru called out to us yelling, "Weakest gang I've ever seen!" Inwardly, I immediately thought, "Yes, that's the intent, sir!" I thought it was pretty funny.

I have started truly loving my time here in this area - especially after a meeting last Saturday  with the new branch mission leader in which he proved to us that he understood his huge responsibility in his calling and that he is willing to magnify that calling.  We were all very energized for this new transfer.

But then, at 22:00 last night, we were talking with our zone leaders about the key indicators for this week (our "numbers"), and they mentioned something about the transfers of Elders Murdock and Linford... It turns out that they forgot to call us regarding transfers. We were all boquiabierto (literally "open-mouthed", meaning "dumbfounded", "speechless", or "astonished" - or "astonied", if you're an Old Testament prophet; it's a fun Spanish word). Elders Murdock and Linford were both shocked and confused and frustrated, mainly because someone simply forgot to tell them such important information. I still have not been told who I will receive in their stead. Today (P-day), my companions  have been mostly sleeping, not wanting to do anything - I think even the word "despondent" was well applicable, for a while. They were out for long enough for me to finish the last dozen or so chapters of the Book of Jeremiah along with its commentary in the accompanying Institute book, as well as update my journal to report on the past two weeks (which took seven pages to satisfy me) - at least for me, it was quite a productive day, so I'm not complaining! And I'm SO happy that I finally finished updating my journal, because only fifteen days ago I was three months behind, which was daunting; but I pushed through it, and I have now written out the 41 pages necessary to satisfy me regarding those three months, from the 4th of July to today. My wrist is sore, to say the least, but it was completely worth it. I've saved those months up for eternity.

Now, the most important topic: SNOW. WE GOT SNOW LAST NIGHT. We got between one and two inches of it, and I went on a walk this morning in a winter wonderland. Fresh snow is so beautiful!

Also, I hit day number 666 of my mission tomorrow, right when I meet my new companion. I hope that's not a bad omen. I trust not, because God is just so merciful to me, constantly. I have high hopes for the future!

I'll see you all in six short weeks!

Love,
Elder Hill

Fotos: NIEVE.



Add caption






No comments:

Post a Comment