Monday, October 12, 2020

I AM FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

 Friends and family,


This week was exciting, mainly for one incredible reason: um... actually, I'll mention it a bit later.

[Suspense kills the audience.]

Dangit, suspense! We talked about this!

...Anyway, first off, Mom, in your email you asked me if I have had the chance to go back to Winter Quarters since the first day when I arrived in Nebraska. Sadly, I have not. I also don't think the visitors center is open right now, so we would only really be able to visit the grounds of the Temple if we were to go. But honestly, that would be worth the trip. Maybe I'll do it sometime soon!

Now, there was something amazing I forgot to mention last week: on Conference Saturday, Amy Barron was baptized in Grand Island. This is significant. I'll tell you why. I taught her from the start, and she has been golden the whole time! She was baptized within only about five weeks! She had moved to Grand Island without preparation, due to some emergency I don't remember, and she ended up in a homeless shelter because for a while she had no job or connections or friends. One day, soon after moving in, she saw an ad on Facebook from one of our missionary pages, and she requested a visit from the missionaries. We called her up, and she said she had just moved, and was looking for a church to join! Those were her words! She drank up everything we discussed, and was baptized, as I said. And, the most unique thing about it all? She was the first person baptized in this mission who was found through our current virus-spurred Facebook initiative!!! Sure, she was baptized after I left, but I don't care! I'm so happy for her and her progress, and for being so ready that she took the title as the first successful "Facebook baptism" in this mission!

Now, for the moment you've all been waiting for... [hopes there's still someone left alive in the audience to appreciate the grand reveal] ... WE ARE NOW ALLOWED TO MEET IN PEOPLE'S HOMES. President Ence announced it to the mission on Saturday morning.

You have to see this from my perspective. I had been teaching in person from January 2019 through mid-March 2020; and then I was stuck inside, then sent home, and then I simmered down for six weeks in Arizona. Then I came back out, and the current normal was to do lessons on video calls. That was normal. The past seemed so far away that I basically forgot the joy of my previous missionary life of meeting people face to face.

Then, last night, we met with Hno. Taboada in person, in his house. He is a hardworking man who was separated firmly from his family by country boundaries closing, with his family still in Colombia; but he calls them EVERY night to talk with them, read a chapter of the Book of Mormon, and pray. He is a good example of faith and diligence in these hard times. He even has no furniture in his living room, so we sat on the floor together, but all three of us left his apartment buzzing because we were so excited to be able to be with people physically, again! It was like an itch that we had ignored long enough to forget about it... but then it was suddenly scratched. My companion Elder Murdock explained it well when he said that it gave him renewed hope. I finally got to associate closely with someone who wasn't a missionary -- a revolutionary new concept, indeed!

THAT is what characterized my week. The lesson was short, sweet, and energizing. I loved it.

But one more uber-important thing happened, too:  Jacob Hill, Elder Hill the Younger, left his Home MTC early today for the mission field in the New York, New York City mission. His first area is in Staten Island, and he will still be learning Samoan in a trio, with one companion learning Mandarin and the other learning Italian. What a diverse companionship!

"And it came to pass... that they separated themselves and departed one from another, trusting in the Lord that they should meet again at the close of their harvest; for they supposed that great was the work which they had undertaken" (Alma 17:13).

God speed, my friend. I'll see you in two.

With much love,
   and a new energy for the work,
Elder Hill the Elder

Fotos: el bautismo de Amy, la lección con el Hno. Taboada anoche, un buen ejemplo de las calles locas de esta ciudad, yo con mi Blizzard (para festejar el cumpleaños de Rosalie, obvio), Taco Bell después de la reunión de distrito esta semana, yo mirando adentro de un cañón en un cementerio, el Presidente Ence un auto desde atrás (es asombroso, ¿no?), Y yo, resplandeciendo por la luz de la ventana.










No comments:

Post a Comment