Monday, September 28, 2020

Sickness, Financial Emergency, and Revelation

Family and friends,

I am very tired, mostly due to lethargy. On Saturday, Elder Murdock came down with something that made him sleep for the entire day, and as he had the SIM card in the companionship we got very little work done, and Elder Linford and I didn't find motivation to do much that day. That cloud of lethargy stayed into Sunday, but we managed to get a bit more dine because Elder Murdock was actually awake: he had recovered by the end of Saturday. We had some lessons planned for yesterevening, but every one of them said they wanted to do it another day instead, so we lost a lot of our work. But this week should be better, because I found a way to contact the people who only have addresses listed in Area Book: delivering letters to them. Even though we can now teach anyone outside their house, we are still prohibited from knocking doors, even to contact people with existing records; so we have to get creative, and though it's very simple, I have high hope that it will yield some small fruit. I pray it will.

Last Tuesday, we managed to help a realtor bail a man out of a financial emergency. To make an extremely long, sad story very much shorter, this man had no education to speak of and was selling his house for no reason, despite his having no house to move into and having a wife and two children. Then, he did everything completely wrong in the process of selling his house and he found himself on Tuesday (the day before closing) in an absolute pickle, having done nothing the realtor had suggested. We became involved in all this because this is a man we were teaching, and we were also translating between him and the realtor, because neither knew the other's language. Messy. In short, the realtor loaned them some money to pay off some stuff, and proceeded to work his tail off to save this man's financial life. All we did was translate and get his possessions into the moving van, but the realtor - bless his good, good heart - was constantly working and sacrificing to fix things for him. Things ended up turning out well, by a miracle, and the sale was closed. I still don't know why this man sold his house in the first place, but at least he didn't financially die doing it. Now he's living in a hotel, and he says he bought a car, and... all three of us Elders know he will be broke soon, but there us nothing we can possibly do about it. I'm just praying for yet another miracle for this man, because I don't want his family living on the street. They are in a sorry situation, but I pray God will have mercy on them.

I have been receiving revelation on many, many things I am to do when I get home, and others I am to leave behind; and that makes me happy, because I know what God wants from me when I get home. But for now I am content to keep praying as fervently as I can to know of ways to serve here effectively. I know I say this a lot, but I mean it every time: God is so good to me.

Love,
Elder Hill the Elder

Fotos: nuestro video de introducción en la Rama Río Vista; un folleto en el apartamento en el idioma de Burma, Karen;  ¿no parece él casi igual al Elder Thornton, mi último compañero en Argentina?; Elder Murdock demostrando su amor; y la reunión de zona que tuvimos esta semana.









No comments:

Post a Comment