Monday, August 17, 2020

I Got Shingles and the Ceiling Power

Family and friends,

This week was FULL of service. 21 hours of it. Yes, really. It was actually so fun, particularly on Saturday, because our first service that day was for the Multicultural Coalition in an international pancake fundraising event, and we appeared in the video of the event on the local news for it! The second event we helped with was distributing food for free with the Messiah Lutheran church, to those who need it most. That one was especially cool to me, because as we entered the church we could hear some murmuring, like, "Why are THEY here?" But once we had helped for a long time, basically quadrupling their work force and working hard, they warmed up to us, and they are such nice people. I understand there's just a lot of bias and stigma around missionaries, but I'm glad we were able to help them via our service to move past those biases. We're leaving a mark in the community! We even got a shout-out from one of those men serving there, thanking us for our service!

Aside from the Multicultural Coalition and the Messiah Lutheran church, we also have worked a lot with Habitat for Humanity, putting panels on the sides of houses and also putting shingles on the roof of a shed - hence, the subject line for today. Thus we served with three of the biggest charity organizations in Grand Island, all in the same weekend! That is something worth remembering.

The District Council I led this week was a huge success, and the Spirit was strong for a full ninety minutes! I'm not sure the missionaries understood what was said, though, because I have seen no evident change in anyone in the district. I pray they can see their calling with purer eyes and stop seeking only whatever entertainment they can find, because they are missing out on so much joy. I wish I could show them everything, but that is a power only God has, so I will be patient, always striving to be full of charity towards them. I am still loving life, though, because I can feel so clearly that God accepts my efforts and sacrifices. I still need to continue working to improve, of course, but I know my heart is right before Him, and that is what brings me joy, even among many missionaries that do not understand the eternal things. God is good to me beyond my understanding. The only thing I can say for sure about the reach of His infinite grace is that it reaches even as far down as I am. God is Good.

Love,
Elder Hill

Fotos: los varios proyectos de servicio y la reuniĆ³n del distrito.







No comments:

Post a Comment