Monday, November 11, 2019

Ando en bici

Family and friends,

This week was a bit insane, particularly near the end. Firstly, I wanted to mention something hilarious that happened when I roasted an Argentine teenage boy in the middle of his group of friends. We were riding slowly down a residential street, and we saw a group of pibes (pronounced pee-bays - it refers to anyone younger than an adult) walking down the street. They saw us and one immediately began to whisper to the others some plan to mock us gringos, or something, and he called out, "ey, ¿cómo andás?" (it means literally "how do you go?" but is used as "how are you?"). With my quippy attitude, I called back, "¡en bici!" ("on a bike") and all his friends immediately began to yell and guffaw, poking at the boy who had asked us. Just let the record say that I roasted an argentino in his own language in his own country. [takes a bow] [doesn't give it back]

We were really concerned about a man we were teaching named Enrique. He expressed mountains of desire to be baptized on the 9th, this past Saturday, but he told us he'd stop smoking on the 22nd of this month. We visited with him on Friday, prepared to lay down the law and tell him that he would not be able to be baptized the next day because he had not stopped smoking. Due to that conflict, we had not planned anything for his baptism. Thus came our enormous surprise when he told us that he had already stopped smoking! We went through the interview questions, and he was all good! He was going to be baptized! We abandoned the rest of out unfixed plans for the day and rushed around calling and contacting a lot of people to plan everything for the next day. To cut a long story short, everything fell perfectly into place, and he was baptized Saturday night. Who baptized him? Yours truly. I did. It was the first live baptism that I have ever performed. I think he can be a very strong addition to Zion here.

I have seen the hand of God so much this week, and I am so happy for it. I can testify that we really are children of the one living God, and that He cares so much for us that He sacrificed His only perfect Child to save us, the sinners. That blows my mind, and I am immeasurably grateful for it.

With much love and excitement,
Elder Hill

Fotos:

  • Enrique
  • Mi zona
  • Mi distrito




No comments:

Post a Comment