Monday, October 7, 2019

Labyrinths and my birth

Family and friends,

Firstly, I apologize for not having sent this message yesterday; we didn't end up having time to write anything to anyone. But hey, it was a GREAT day! We visited Malargüe as a zone, Malargüe being another distant city in my zone, a bit like Alvear but prettier. It has wonderful snow-capped mountains in the near distance, and is full of green inside the city. We even spent the morning in labyrinths, which was my first experience in a real maze that's not on paper. I loved it. I attached a lot of pictures.

Now, a special message to Jacob: you have a Latina girlfriend here if you want one. She heard that I have a brother seventeen years old and was immediately interested, because she is also seventeen. She saw you in my family picture and said you're "chiquito", which means "cute" in the context, but is ironic considering your towering size. But yeah, her name is Sheila, and she's newly baptized and has no boyfriend, so she's free game. So, if you want to Google-Translate yourself a degree in international relations, as we heard in General Conference [from Elder Gong], you can do that. I'll send you her number and everything. Just so you know.

Would you please send me the music file of the "Evermore" (from "Beauty and the Beast") minus track that I bought on your Amazon account? I need it for an event next week.  I'll sing it in a ward activity, in Spanish! I was lucky enough to find lyrics for it in Spanish, and I already have them memorized.

I realized something really funny this week. I have been feeling very pained by my imperfections and errors for a while (or, up until General Conference I was), and I realized that I just completed my ninth month in the mission. Guys, I've gotten to the end of the pregnancy, and those were my birth pains. Or, I guess my pains at being born...? Because I wasn't the one giving birth, and I don't think anyone was birthing me... That metaphor is full of holes, but it conveys my point, that I feel like I've been reborn in these past few days, and General Conference helped so much with that. After nine months of learning to be a missionary, I have finally been born into the field. 

I think my favorite talk in Conference was that of President Eyring, in which he taught much about holiness, and how to develop it. It spoke straight to my soul, and I drank in every word of it. I hardly even took notes because I was so rapt that I didn't look away. But obviously, I was also insanely inspired and excited by the announcement of the Bicentennial Conference, and I was overjoyed to learn from Mom's email to me that the change will be the acceptance of The Lord of the Rings as canonical doctrine! That's amazing. I'm also joking. [Elder Uchtdorf's talk.] But honestly, I have never, in any Conference, felt so incredibly excited, not even when they announced the Temple in Mendoza (and I stopped breathing at that one). I have just been screaming inside because of extreme excitement combined with impatience. I will prepare myself for that Conference, because I want so incredibly badly what the Lord has in store. I know that if I prepare myself, it will be something grand.

Con muchísimo amor,
Elder Hill

Fotos (la mayoría de estas fotos son de los laberintos y de Conferencia General; voy a describir unas pocas):













No comments:

Post a Comment