Monday, October 21, 2019

Singing, a baptism, and deep thoughts

Family and friends,

So, this week was a bit insane. We went to Alvear for a baptismal interview and also a wedding of the man who is to be baptized, which was fun. I especially loved it because I saw a lot of members that I had known before from Pellegrini! That made me really happy. That night, we returned to Balloffet and almost immediately prepared for the ward music activity, in which I was to sing. To make a long event short in relating, we had the joy of hearing a professional accordion player, and it was magnificent. He even played a traditional tango, which made me want to dance, but it takes two to tango, right? So I couldn't. Sadness. But I sang "Vuelve el Amor"  ("Evermore" from the movie "Beauty and the Beast", in Spanish) and they loved it immensely. But the bishop's wife missed that performance and was really sad, so the bishop requested that I sing something more, so I spontaneously sang Josh Groban's "So She Dances" (in English), which was also loved, though completely unpracticed. All in all, that activity turned out to be a very fun and good one, which is great because we weren't even sure if anyone would come. I think the bishop liked my singing, too, because he had me sing in Sacrament Meeting the hymn "O My Father", which was not planned before. But he trusted me with a last-minute assignment, which is a good sign.

The next day, Talía, the wife of Sergio, was baptized! That was a surprise to us because she never showed interest as we talked with Sergio, but then when we talked with her without him, she agreed to be baptized instantly! She was so happy about it, too. I had the honor of confirming her a member of the Church.

Now for my deeper thoughts. Of late, I have been feeling so poignantly my lack of ability to empathize with people. I have generally been an open book with everyone; if anyone just kept asking, I would just keep telling. But it seems that I have somehow never learned how to open the books of other people, and that hurts. I just end up ignoring their personality and plow right into a lesson with doctrines that don't apply because they won't understand because I don't know them. That is a result of not having charity, and I have never felt so much pain at not having charity as I have these past weeks. But then one thing that came to my mind is the Standard of Truth, written by Joseph Smith, which says, "The standard of truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing... until the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done." That caught my attention. Think of that: NO HAND can stop the work from progressing. That includes me. Thus, I quickly came to the conclusion that if I keep striving to be better, I cannot be a weakness in this work. I cannot hinder it. I CANNOT. That is a powerful thought, and it has given me a lot of hope. In short, because of that thought, I have begun to flourish, despite my pained spirit and debilities. I love my Savior so much more, because He has saved me from a very real damnation; this experience has helped me see exactly how difficult perfection is, and, consequently, exactly how powerful mercy is. I proclaim His kindness.

With so much love,
Elder Hill

Fotos:
  • Hno. Olguin y Pte. Stepeñenco
  • Tirando arroz
  • Varios miembros de Pellegrini
  • El nuevo matrimonio
  • #AlvearOeste
  • Mi calle favorita de Pellegrini
  • Salvador Facio y su acordeón
  • Bautismo de Talía
  • ""
  • Picking up chicks [When Ben was in high-school ballroom-dance classes, learning how to do fancy lifts, he called it "learning how to pick up chicks." I don't know who is picking up the little girl, but it's not Ben.]










No comments:

Post a Comment