Monday, July 15, 2019

The touch of God's hand

Family, friends, family of friends, friends of family, friends of family of friends, family of family of friends, friends of family of family, family of friends of family, family of family of family, friends of friends of friends, friends of family of friends of family... and Jacob,

On Thursday this week, something hilarious happened. The Testigos de Jehová knocked our door during our study time. I can only imagine what they thought when they saw two well-dressed young men with name tags come out and greet them amiably. They asked us if we live in that house, and we told them we do (thus, I can be perfectly certain that they will never approach the door of this house ever again, for all eternity), then we just talked about how impressive it is that they work so hard as missionaries, and we parted with good feelings. I especially had good feelings because I was guffawing inside for having received Jehovah's Witnesses at my own door, when they were right in the middle of "enemy territory." It's just so funny to me.

But the day before, I saw a two-fold miracle. We were working in the barrio 8 de Abril, and nobody let us in, as usual (bienvenidos a la misión), and we began to head back south towards barrios Infanta and Aeroparque. But then, I froze, feeling confused, and I just stood there in the street for a minute, not moving or saying anything. I felt distinctly that we were headed in the wrong direction, and the Plaza Municipal came to my mind, farther north. I started walking without explaining anything because I didn't understand what I was doing well enough to explain. Then, on the way, I thought of a man who lives around there who is a member but doesn't attend church, and I began to head toward his house. But here's the catch: I didn't remember where his house was. But I continued on, nonetheless, and we got to the general area of his house. Then I felt other distinct directions that guided me step by step through the streets, and in a moment we miraculously came exactly to his house. After the initial miracle of the first impression, that was the second act of Providence. He let us in, and we talked with him for a while, finding out that he doesn't attend church because he fears the hypocrisy of starting to attend and be good and all that, but then regress and fall away to his anterior situation of sin again. We talked about the faith that he needs, and that he has literally zero chance if he doesn't start somehow. We even related our guide to his house, and told him with power and authority that we were there to tell him God needs him back in church. Sadly, after all those miracles and testimonies that we recounted, in the end he still clung to his fear, accidentally driving out his own faith. He wants us to visit him again this week, but I'm not sure we will because we've visited with him before multiple times, and, despite his immense knowledge of the doctrines, he doesn't have the faith to follow through, and he doesn't progress for that reason. We will probably have to drop him once again. But I suppose I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for one or two more visits. I'm just praying that God helps him in some way, because we can't help him if he doesn't help himself. He even has the goal of being sealed to his wife in the Temple, but if he never leaves behind his fear of failure he will never reach that goal. Ultimately, that visit was an obvious touch of God's hand in his life, but he still hasn't changed because of it. I'll just keep praying, I guess.

But this week really has been a good one. After so many weeks of having no success in any form aside from just talking with the people, we now have five new investigators, which is also a miracle unto itself. We have anywhere from two to six baptisms possible in the near future, and we could also reactivate a few people who no longer attend church, and all that makes me very happy. In short, I am prospering. I am happy to be here, and happy to be alive. This mission is the hardest and most painful thing I've done in my life, but is also easily the most rewarding. I do not regret in any way leaving my comfortable life in gringo-land to come here: I'm finally learning all the things that I always wanted to learn, and I can also now see just how much I don't know that I don't know. I am content.


With so much love,
Élder Hill

Fotos:
  • Un baile tradicional del Día de Independencia de Argentina (9 de Julio) que vi en intercambios con Élder Valencia, mi líder de zona, en Pascual Segura
  • Élder Hernandez, del grupo de Élder Cardozo, en intercambios en Cementista este jueves pasado
  • La cara tonta de Élder Cardozo justo antes que comimos esos ají enfrente. Ese tipo de ají se llama "Puta que te parió", que significa básicamente "The whore that birthed you" - obviamente eso es muy vulgar en cualquier idioma, pero es su nombre, entonces perdón. Y sí, morimos por razón de esos ají; comimos dos cada uno.
  • Los Élderes de Cementista
  • La Luna




No comments:

Post a Comment