Monday, November 30, 2020

I Had COVID-19

 Family and friends,


Today is day #700 of my missionary service. Tomorrow I begin week #101.

This is my penultimate weekly letter, and this one's a doozy.

On Tuesday night, I suddenly lost 80% of my sense of taste. I realized it when I bit into a Cosmic Brownie and it was just clay to my mouth - many people have reacted to that, saying, "well, that's exactly what a Cosmic Brownie IS!" I thought that was funny, but I was still supposed to taste something. I was so surprised that I just stared at the brownie, dumbstruck, knowing I had to tell my companion before we went to our lesson in a bit but having not even a tiny notion of how I was supposed to breach the topic. He eventually noticed me staring and asked me what was up, and I explained it. In testing my symptom, I even drank straight vanilla and I tasted nothing at all - it was just like water that happened to be black. Strangely enough, I seemed most unable to taste processed sugar, but some other things weren't affected so much, though it all worsened as the evening progressed. I truly believe it was COVID-19 because I have never experienced that symptom before for any reason, and the only other explanation anyone ever offered was that maybe it was a cold - I've had a lot of colds, and I know what they feel like, and I didn't have one, and I have never been prone to such a drastic symptom as losing taste even if it were a cold! On top of that, it seems too much of a coincidence that I lose my taste during this pandemic, when one of its trademark symptoms is exactly that. What conclusion should I have come to?

I realized that, even if I were put into a two-week quarantine, I would still be able to go home on time, because I started feeling symptoms on Tuesday night, and my flight was to leave two weeks later on Wednesday morning. That was astounding. It was the last possible perfect moment for me to get that trial.

I asked my companion for a blessing, so he anointed me and blessed me. After the ordinance, a scripture came to mind: "Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him" (Job 13:15). Of course, I was never expecting to be "slain" by that experience, but the sentiment filled me to the brim with strength and resilience of joy. I was able to go to bed that night rejoicing more than I ever have before and having no fear that all would be well. I knew it, and I was prepared to face my judgement the next day to see how my fate would turn out for two weeks. I was at peace.

The next morning I awoke in the same attitude of praise and gratitude filling me to the brim, and I could not stop praying and giving thanks in awe of God's goodness. I knew with every fiber of my soul that it would turn out well for me.

I prepared a simple bowl of granola for breakfast, and I prayed very earnestly over that meal, pouring out more thanks, and also asking that, if it were His will, I would be able to taste it - my implication being that I knew He could heal me. Especially in that moment, so full of beautiful gratitude, I had no doubt that I could be healed.

Then I tried it, the moment of truth... and I tasted nothing. I was slightly disappointed, but gratitude quickly rushed in a filled me back up, and I remembered my promise to trust in Him. So I just continued eating... but then the second bite had flavor. My taste had come back from 20% to 80%, and I was astounded again. I immediately prayed again, asking God simply, "How do You do this? Even if I still have COVID, how did You suddenly give my taste back?!" I heard the answer instantly: "Son, this is how it is to live with the Holy Spirit 'from the rising of the sun to the going down of the same.'" Again, I was dumbstruck. I ate the rest of my granola in awe, and with even greater joy - because, you know, I could TASTE it. I don't know how it's possible to have more joy than overflowing, but I somehow managed it.

Then I went and got the test done, and the results came back in a few minutes - VERY surprisingly fast - saying I had tested... negative. Negative? How did it show up negative when I had expressed one of the clear-cut, telltale signs of it? To celebrate not being in quarantine, we got a Little Caesars pizza and I could taste it 100%. I have not had any lack of taste nor any other symptom since.

Guys, I was healed.

It's literally a miracle.

Science can try to explain away what I experienced, but in my mind I know what happened, and it was a miracle like the healing of the woman with a disease of the blood. To me, both my experience and hers are on par. To say God is good to me is the biggest understatement I could ever say. But I'll say it again anyway, for lack of vocabulary powerful enough to express it. God is good to me.

The next day, I enjoyed a wonderful district Thanksgiving dinner, unquarantined and able to taste it! My heart goes out to my sister Aileen and her family, who couldn't taste theirs. Now that I know how that feels, I know it must have been a depressing Thanksgiving meal, as Thanksgiving meals go. But they're chugging along, taking life as it comes. They seem to be doing very well, considering their nervous systems' interface with the universe is like 40% not working. 😅

Then today was AMAZING, too! We were going to have dinner with the district, but then when we got to the Institute building to do it someone appeared and told us that we couldn't use the kitchen. The Hermanas, living in a house that has its driveway leading to literally the exact same parking lot as the Institute building, offered to just make breakfast for us! So we had waffles, eggs, and a strange tembleque-like jello that a member gave us. It was fun! (Don't worry, we obeyed the rules - there was not an even ratio of Elders to Sisters; the third Sister took the photo.)

Right after that we went to Top Golf for free, taking up the offer of a member who works there (the same one who gave us the jello!)! Yesterday we met with her, and she just randomly mentioned that she works at Top Golf, then suddenly offered to get us in for free! Then she asked how many missionaries there were in the Branch, and she agreed to get all ten of us in! And then we found out after planning it that the Zone Leaders would also be joining us to drive a bit! It was a grand ol' time for the two hours we had, especially when I accidentally sniped the ball-collecting car as it passed, at short range. We all guffawed for a good moment after that.

Oh, and I also finished this week reading the Old Testament with all of its accompanying Institute textbook commentary! I definitely have gained a better appreciation for those ancient books, now. It's great.

One last week, hermanos. Let's get this bread. God is good.

Love,
Elder Hill the Elder

Fotos: todas son obvias, y la mayoría son de las actividades de hoy o del día de Acción de Gracias.








No comments:

Post a Comment