Monday, December 7, 2020

Last Letter, Part 1: Long, Long Way to Go

I have written this "Pt.1" to be full of all the sappy stuff I have thought of saying. "Pt. 2" is my normal letter, and is VERY much better, but this still has some good stuff. Read both at your own pleasure.

________________________________________


Family and friends,

"These were days never to be forgotten" (Oliver Cowdery).

"The time passed away with [me], and also [my life] passed away like as it were unto [me] a dream" (Jac. 7:26).

"And we have entered into their houses and taught them, and we have taught them in their streets; yea, and we have taught them upon their hills; and we have also entered into their temples and their synagogues and taught them; and we have been cast out, and mocked... and stoned... and through the power and wisdom of God we have been delivered again. And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some. Now behold, we can look forth and see the fruits of our labors; and are they few? I say unto you, Nay, they are many; yea, and we can witness of their sincerity, because of their love towards their brethren and also towards us" (Alma 26:29-31).

I have had His name over my heart for two years, but now it is written in my heart, so I can take the tag off without shame. I failed when I came home before, and I easily went back to my old ways, ducking out of the extra mile; but this time I have regrouped my strength, and I will not fall back to the lower roads. God be praised for what He has done for me, and even more so for what He will still do for me.

I testify of what is called the Gospel of Christ, which details the importance and function of faith. True faith, undefiled by fear, will always lead to true repentance, and the striving for perfection that Jesus speaks of in His "Sermon on the Mount" (Matt. 5:48). That striving for perfection through the grace of Christ and the mercy of God will always lead to baptism, as Jesus said that no man can even see Heaven without being baptized by water and by the Spirit (that is, baptism, and receiving the Holy Ghost, both of which can only be done for eternity by those who have authority given them to do so; see John 3:5 and Heb. 5:4). After that, true faith will still drive one to improve his life forever, learning constantly to trust better in his God, learning "line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little,  and blessed are those who hearken unto [His] precepts... for unto him that recieveth [He] will give more" (2 Ne. 28:30). I tell you that I know, without doubt, that this is true, because I have truly been born of the Spirit, and I can see now as never before. He has shown me the meaning of faith; and I am eternally grateful to God for His being One who is so constant and unwavering that I CAN have faith in Him! God is so good to me.

I testify of the power of sacrifice. I have sacrificed so many parts of my life that are not in alignment with God's plan for me, and I feel better than I ever have before. The Gospel of Christ is saving me, bit by bit, from a lower life, and I fully trust that He will continue to raise me as I trust in Him. There's a very "long, long way to go, but what are miles across the ocean to the heart that's coming home?" ("Long Long Journey", Enya).

I also testify of the power of charity, without which I am nothing (1 Cor. 13:1-3). Granted, that means I am extremely often nothing, which I'm trying to improve in; but every time I feel God's love flowing through me, it feels like light filling my soul. It is pure. If you want to know one of the deepest doctrines I have learned in these two years, it is this: we are all children of God, and He loves us all infinitely. Yep, that's it, the deepest doctrine I know. If I understood it perfectly, I would never sin again, for love of my Father, who first loved me (1 Jn. 4:19).

And now, after the many testimonies which I have given of Christ, this is my testimony, last of all, that I give of Him: that He lives! I have spiritually seen Him, sitting on the right hand of God, and I know He is the divine Messiah. (See D&C 76:22-23.) He has redeemed me from ignorance, and will redeem me soon enough from all sin and weakness, according to my faith and diligence. God is so good to me.

It's a quiet, misty morning, and the Moon has gone to bed. Now the sparrows stopped their singing, and the sky is clear and red; now the summer's ceased its gleaning, now the corn is past its prime; now adventure's lost its meaning, and I'm homeward bound: it is time. [Lyrics to "Homeward Bound" by Peter Hollens]

I know God has a plan for me, and that I will do great things for His children as I remain close to Him. A greater thing I will now do, than I ever have done; and a greater Rest I will eventually go to, than I ever have known - thanks to Christ. God is so good to me. I hope that when I am released from being a full-time missionary, God tells me, "No, it's okay, keep the change."

"And again, verily thus saith the Lord: Let... all the works which I have appointed unto you, be continued on and not cease; and let your diligence, and your perseverance, and patience, and your works be redoubled, and you shall in nowise lose your reward, saith the Lord of Hosts... For all this there is a reward in heaven" (D&C 127:4).

Thank you all for joining me on this wonderful journey. Ladies and gentlemen, it has been a good start.

Love,
Elder Hill the Elder

P.S. Don't cry for me, Argentina. The truth is, I never left you.

Fotos: la primera foto de mi misión, y luego la foto que saqué al llegar al CCM; y las últimas fotos de mi misión.

The last picture of Ben's mission

The first picture Ben took on his mission

Taken when Ben had just arrived in the CCM (Missionary Training Center in Mexico)


No comments:

Post a Comment