Monday, April 22, 2019

Another Companion (in Cementista)

Gringos,

A couple more funny things first. Regarding the language, I just realized this week that command form of verbs can be confusing; the command "callate" means "quiet yourself (familiar)", and "cayase" means "fall yourself (formal)" (it makes more sense in Spanish, I promise), but the only difference between the two in speaking is the "te/se". Great. That's fun.

It's also funny when we get to talking with someone and they say, "Soy ateo, gracias a Dios", which means, "I'm an atheist, thanks to God." Oh. Okay. Good for you, I guess. Then there was another experience we had in which we talked with a random woman who started teaching US what the Book of Mormon is, saying that an angel told Joseph Smith to write a book about his life and call it the Book of Mormon. Great. I'm glad I know the truth now. When we finally parted after a solid fifteen minutes of her not listening to anything we were saying, she still had a countenance that showed that she clearly believed she had won - that she had won an argument that never happened, because she wasn't listening. That's fine; I didn't want to argue, anyway.

Also, Jacob, I heard of an elder whose name you'd be jealous of: Kobe Juan Kenobi Gubernick. I mean, the last name is a mouthful, but the first three names remind me instantly and incessantly of you.

I had an interesting experience yesterday, and now I come to the point of the title of this email. We had lunch with a family in which the mother is a member and the father is not, despite having talked with missionaries multiple times before. That's fine; there's absolutely no problem with that for us. The lunch was wonderful, and afterwards we took advantage of the togetherness of the family to teach a bit about the Restoration of the Gospel and the Church of Jesus Christ. After our teaching, we asked the mother to share her thoughts on how she had come to know that these things are true, and she gave a good response. But then she continued on to talk about how a couple days ago she had finally realized that her husband would never join the Church, and that he was holding her back from an eternal family, which is all she has ever wanted. She even went on to declare boldly that if he didn't accept the Gospel she would look for another companion who would. Oof. All this was done in the presence of him, her daughters, and us. The entire time she was explaining, I could only think, "How is this my problem??" It's not that I didn't feel for her situation, but I felt utterly incompetent to help. She also explained that he didn't want to join the Church because the members are hypocrites; in reality, that is perfectly true. We preach a perfect Gospel, and yet do not keep it, which is verbatim the definition of hypocrisy. But, as we explained to him (extremely carefully and lovingly, because that really wasn't our field of expertise nor authority) that Jesus did not establish His Church nor minister for the righteous ones, but instead for those who are sick and sinners. Honestly, I am astounded at the tranquility and humility of the husband, because not once did he become angry or even anything other than peaceful. But, goodness, I was not comfortable there, for obvious reasons. That's the short version of a discussion that lasted ninety minutes, and I don't care to say more. We contributed appropriately and decently well, and we left on cheerful terms with the both of them, and everything was fine, but it looks like I have some serious praying to do for their welfare.

Now I want to mention something of which I have been thinking a lot recently: faith and works. Just about all I want to say is said in James 2, multiple times, that "faith without works is dead", and that is what I want to emphasize. Especially in these last days, it is not sufficient only to have faith in a dying world; we have to prove our faith with works so that there are actual fruits of our faith. Christ said, "by their fruits ye shall know them", and there are no fruits of faith without works of service. Faith is not enough to save us, and it never will be; it takes action in faith to bring the saving power of grace. And that is my spiritual thought and testimony for today.


Con amor,
Elder Hill

P.S. Honestly, after writing about that contentious experience, I feel like something is off in this letter, but I can't tell what to do to fix it. It will probably come to me later, when I have no access to a computer, so I'll just leave this as a declaration that this letter is unfinished in some way.


Fotos:
868: Fútbol con el Barrio
865: Más fútbol
809: Que dramático
781: Calle "Estado de Israel" - Rosalie, estoy pensando de ti





No comments:

Post a Comment