Monday, March 9, 2020

Mine is thine

Family and friends,

This was another fun week, and I did some intercambios with elders in my zone. One of them, Elder Herrera, from Chile (see foto), was an interesting companion. He has a speech impediment, and very often words simply stop coming out of his mouth and his face convulses, trying to force them out; if I understand correctly, half of his brain is damaged, and that causes his ailment. It was an interesting day, but I was actually very impressed and significantly inspired by him. I couldn't help thinking of how incredibly much faith he must have had to serve a mission with such a huge impediment. And his bishop and stake president considered him able, so I am very impressed. It was a cool day for me. He has a very good heart.

I also gave a lesson last night for Family Night with a couple of families in the ward, and I focused on the commandments of God to continue learning, and especially the commandment of "ask, and ye shall receive". I had never thought of that as a commandment before, but I realized that the wording shows that it is, and that changes the meaning for me. We also discussed DyC 93:39, regarding Satan taking away the light of the people through their disobedience. To finish up, I read to them JS-History, verses 13-17, and related everything else to that, showing the consummation of the entire topic in the First Vision. In short, I can simply testify that God wants us to ask, and He commands that we do it. I even learned something fascinating from the JST version of Matthew 7, where Jesus taught that if we knock on our Father's door, He will not only answer and give us bread instead of a rock, and a fish instead of a serpent, but will welcome us into His home, saying that what is His is ours. That is like the ending of one of my favorite hymns ever, called My Shepherd Will Supply My Need: "O may Thy house be my abode... There would I find a settled rest, while others go and come; no more a stranger, nor a guest, but like a child at home." I am full of joy at the thought of being a member of the household of God, not just in visit, about to depart again, but as His eternal child. All that is required of us is to ask, to knock, to seek Him.

"Come in, my son; for mine is thine, and thine is mine" (JST Matthew 7:17).

With unending love,
Elder Hill

Fotos:
Caballos, para vos, Hannah
La montaña hermosa
En la cumbre del mundo
Yo y mi compañero
La vista
La Virgen
Yo con el cartel del cerro
Estoy bien, no os preocupéis
Los cinco élderes y el obispo que fuimos a Cerro Arco
Élder Herrera
 



 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment