Monday, August 19, 2019

Luke 9:54

Family and friends,

So, first of all, I just have to say Mendoza is a bit weird, and now I understand even better why it really isn't doing very well: yesterday, the entire province shut down for a holiday (which is already kinda dumb by itself), but even the days before and after are holidays, and nobody worked anywhere! And, to top it off, what was the holiday? El Día del Niño. They're celebrating the existence of children by not working for three days in a row and therefore making everyone die for lack of money. And don't forget the siesta that lasts for three or four hours every day. I'm legitimately confused at just how lazy that is. Mortals. The politicians keep saying that they'll "seguir mejorando Mendoza", but if they want to do that, why don't they pass a law that makes it impossible for companies to shut down for the siesta? Maybe that wouldn't be the best idea, but they aren't using ANY ideas, so... I'm just really confused. Elder Cardozo says Buenos Aires isn't like this at all. But that's fine; it gives us more opportunities to teach people, I guess, so in a spiritual way it's beneficial for the people.

But this week, we saw miracles. We had a goal to find three new people to teach, and instead of three we found NINE. That's a bit of a difference. I feel really good for being able to serve more people thus. We taught a dozen lessons, and every one was full of the Spirit. We even had one in which the woman we were teaching, named María, seemed just to be bearing our presence and not internalizing anything; but then suddenly in the end, after we finished teaching the Restoration, she broke down crying and thanked us from the heart for having come to share that message of peace. What?! I thought she was barely paying attention, just having listened out of respect, but suddenly she had tears of joy! That was wonderful, especially after having a lesson that felt a bit more discontinuous than normal.

We had intercambios twice this week, once with district leaders and once with zone leaders, and I loved it so much! I love how hard they work, and they're a good example for me. I also discovered that Elder Anderson (see fotos) and I have some interests in common. He is the FIRST missionary I have met here that loves choir and theatre, and he says I'm the first missionary of that type that he has met, too. He doesn't do math or science, but you can't have it all, I guess. It was legitimately fun talking with him and being able to geek out about something that someone else actually likes. He was Javert in a production of Les Miserables! It was a great time. I can't even describe how relieved I am to have found someone who likes SOMETHING that I like. Everyone else is just insane about cars, girls, and... nah, just more cars and girls. I like more complexity, more culture than just an exceedingly worldly view on everything. That's far too simplistic for me, and it's a relief to have found a friend who I can relate with.

I don't have any more time, but I just want to assure you all that God is with us, the Spirit stronger now than ever before. I know He is here.

Just another day in the life.

With heaps of love,
Elder Hill

Fotos:
  • Intercambios con líder de zona Élder Anderson
  •  "One of these things is not like the others."



No comments:

Post a Comment