Monday, June 3, 2019

Lovest thou me more than these? (Cementista)

Family and friends,

This week was interesting, especially because at the end of last P-day I got a dog. We went to Pascual Segura for our weekly meeting, which is on the other side of the city from us. Afterwards, we walked to San Miguel to have intercambios for the next day, and Elders Mazzeo and Mecham walked from there to Cementista. All that way, a random dog followed them, and sat outside the pensión all night awaiting them. The next day it followed them everywhere, and every time we take a bus somewhere we lose it, but it just returns to the pensión and awaits us again. I guess it belongs to us, now, considering it has not left us ever since. But we're not allowed to have pets as missionaries, so I'm not sure what to do about it. He already has a name, too, but it was established by the immaturity of the other missionaries and is a vulgar word in English; it means nothing here, but I still refuse to say or write it. Thus, its name for me is Asistente de los Élderes. But yeah. I'll send pictures.

Yesterday we had a baptism! Her name is Lorena (she's my age, 19), and the man who baptized her is her novio, Brian, who was less-active but was reactivated by of her conversion. He received the priesthood and only an hour after baptized Lorena. She was initially uninterested in hearing what we had to say, but one day we found her randomly at a kiosco and she agreed to hear us. That was only three weeks ago. Now, she is one of the newest members of the Church in the world. The service (held after the meeting block, because Brian had to receive the priesthood that day) was wonderful, and the Spirit was there. I had the honor of confirming her a member of the Church of Jesus Christ, and even in that I saw a miracle: my tongue did not slip once as I declared the words of that ordinance and blessing. I spoke slowly, listening to what the Spirit had for me to say, and I was not led astray; it was perfect. This gringo conjugated every verb perfectly and surely, and it was a beautiful blessing. And afterwards I gave a brief talk on the Spirit, using John 14:16-18,27 as the base, and I nearly cried for the force of the Spirit. I'm a real cry-baby in the Spirit, and I am unashamed. It all fell into place so well, and I am humbled to have been part of that experience.

Then, I had an interesting experience with beggars. A small family approached us one night (earlier in the week) as we were walking, asking for money and saying that the father had lost his job and that they were in dire straits. I thought of the fact that the money we have is from the Church of Jesus Christ and is for our personal sustenance as called servants of God, and because of that thought I started responding that the best we could give them was the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I immediately felt something was wrong with my response, because I was literally holding a bag of purchases in my hand and had more money in my pocket. But it was for the sustenance of the servants of God, right? It doesn't belong to them, it belongs to God. The father soon cut me off, expressing his disappointment and just leaving. I was frustrated that they in their poverty still had the pride sufficient to reject the best thing we could give them, which is the Gospel. All that mattered to them was money, and they didn't care about God. But as we continued on, my heart slowly melted, and I finally began to see the situation with Wisdom. Why should the father's focus be on anything other than money, for the support of his family, which really is the most important? And, upon that thought, my heart melted into shame, and my mind turned back on itself, analyzing my own behavior. It was veiled in such a thick, callous coating of pride. Yes, the money I have belongs to God. But that means it doesn't belong to me. God said that if I serve even the least of the children of God I have done it unto Him. Did Jesus have money in any part of his life? The opposite. By definition, He was one of the most destitute on the planet, having no money, no home, only clothing; and treated like a criminal all His life, and even killed for it. He was nothing in this world, but he was the most important person this world has ever seen. Thus, the "sustenance" of God's servants is not found in money or possessions, it is found in giving them to those who need them more. It reminded me of the scripture in John 21:15, in which Jesus asks Peter, "lovest thou me more than these?" While talking with that family, I forgot the obvious fact that, before preaching the pure doctrines of Christ to all the world, I have to live them. After all that, I wanted that family to come back so I could give them everything I could. However, I understand now that that experience was meant to teach me the lesson again which I thought I had already learned: I own nothing in this world. It all belongs to God; it's only on loan to us, and the rent that we can pay to keep it is obedience to His laws. And now I am earnestly working to repent and fix that heretofore-unseen breach in my mind. I am reminded of the song "Viva Voce" by The Rocketboys. "Can you hear me now? I'm singing out as loud as I know how, but am I loud enough?" Now I'm learning to sing the song of redeeming love, and I am progressing in that learning bit by bit.

And just while writing this, I had the realization of the connection with the passing of dear Grandfather Wilcox. Our families do not belong to us; we are all children of God, and we belong by all eternal right to Him only. He gives us family on rent, to be returned to Him in the end. But in His infinite mercy, He has provided us with a rent we can pay to keep them in Eternity, and that rent is obedience to Him. And in this moment, right now while writing this, I have tears on my cheeks because I am overjoyed that I am able to grow to pay that rent, gaining the certainty that I will see Grandfather again. Perhaps it is best for him to have passed because of his mountains of health issues; that does not make it easier. What does make it easier is that mercy of God which allows us to meet in a better place, where we will be together forever and rest from all our cares and pains, laying down imperfection to put on Eternity. That is my message for you today, and I share it in the name of Him who is the Beginning, End, and Redemption of all things: Jesus Christ. Amen.

Can you hear me now?


With undying and ever-growing love,
Elder Hill

Fotos:
  • El Asistente de los Elderes (con ropa que fue un regalo de la familia de Brian)
  • Limpiando la capilla a las 0700 en Domingo (eso es la verdad de la obra misional: nadie nos atiende, pero tenemos que hacer todo; me encanta)
  • Nosotros con ellos
  • Lorena y Brian
  • Hermanos de Lorena y padre de Brian
  • Yo y Brian
  • Yo y Lorena













No comments:

Post a Comment