Friday, February 8, 2019

Two Temple Trips! (Last week in the CCM)

Hijos de Dios,

I made a pun yesterday for which I was threatened with death (which means I was successful). If I were to take care of dead bodies very carefully, with precise measurements and such, would that make me a mathemortician? I dare you to try to assassinate me for that; I'm not even on the same continent as you are.  Ha.  Soy el ganador.

I also want to share something very important to understand in Spanish: markings are very important. Take this sentence for example: Mi papa tiene 47 anos. What does that mean? "My father is 47 years old"? No. If I had wanted to write that, I would have written, "Mi papá tiene 47 años." Yes, there is a difference. A HUGE one. And what does the original sentence mean? "My potato has 47 anuses." Sí, en serio. Please be careful with markings when writing Spanish.

I heard about the event in Phoenix with President Nelson and Elder Oaks, and that's so cool! But I can one-up it, I think. Elder Cook is coming to speak to us this evening at the CCM at 4:00! Phoenix will have two prophets and an audience of 70K people, but we get one prophet and an audience of 500. Do the math. We get the better deal. (I know spiritual edification doesn't work in fractions like that. Leave me alone. XD)

By the way, I actually received my flight plans this week, and I will be leaving on Monday the 11th, not Tuesday. I will fly with all of the Argentina missionaries to Lima, and from there to Buenos Aires, arriving at about 0430 on Tuesday the 12th. That is the extent of the travel info I was given. I might take another flight to Mendoza from there, but since it's not listed in my flight plan I assume I'm in for a ten-hour bus ride. I'll fill y'all in next P-day, whenever that is.

As I mentioned in my previous letter, I had the opportunity to go to the Mexico City Temple last P-day to participate in an Endowment session. It was beautiful, and I had a wonderful experience. While in the Celestial room, I knelt and prayed (because there was no room to sit, with the small, crowded room) and I felt an arm around my shoulders, and the feeling that I have done well, so far. Oh, Heavens (literally), I needed to hear that. This week we were invited to attend the Temple again, and we decided to accept, even though it is such an enormous time commitment; there is nothing better we could have used this last CCM P-day for. This time, one thing was stuck in my head for the entire time. It's a set of lyrics from "Little Wonders" by Rob Thomas that says, "Time falls away, but these small hours, these little wonders, still remain." Though time is meaningless in Heaven, my hours, my experiences here will last the entirety of that transcendent Eternity. That song very quickly became my theme song here at the CCM, and I truly think that it was inspired by the Spirit, because it seems to touch everyone so powerfully, every time. "Let it go. Let it roll right off your shoulders; don't you know the hardest part is over?" Even though I'm certain the hardest part of my mission is not over, every day there is something or other that reaches its peak difficulty, and thus that song is applicable every day. I even wrote my own verse to it, but I'll share it some other time; I want to write about other things for now.

I found an amazing quote from Ezra T. Benson in Predicad Mi Evangelio this week. “Our main task is to declare the gospel and do it effectively. We are not obligated to answer every objection. Every man eventually is backed up to the wall of faith, and there he must make his stand.” That is really good. I'm glad it's in PME, because that means I can have it with me whenever I want it over the next two years.

Regarding spiritual learning, I have never felt more in tune with the Spirit than I am here, and that's saying a lot, because I have had huge spiritual blasts before my mission. This is better. I know the scriptures like an old friend, and I am learning to wield them like the sword of truth that they are. Seriously, I want to write a book because of it, even though I'm not anything near an author at heart. It's that powerful. It is also just hitting me at last how powerful the Atonement of Christ is, and even how much sense it makes. Without it taking care of all evil, including pain, sickness, and all of the millions of forms of shortcomings, there would be justice left unserved, and God would destroy the world out of that necessity of pure justice. Therefore, the Atonement must be perfectly infinite and all-encompassing, so that justice can be served, with all forms of pain poured out on the head of One. I'm tearing up just writing that. Why can no one see it? The Atonement of Jesus Christ is the ultimate sacrifice to end all sacrifice, pain, and challenge. All that ever was, is, or could be wrong in the world is made right through the Passion and the Blood. Christ has raised us out of darkness; He has bought our souls for God.  (Note from Ben's mother:  Ben sang "I have bought your soul for God" as the Bishop in Les Miserables.)

This church is the only living church on the earth, and I know it. That is one point of my belief where it is steadily slipping past the wall, out of the realm of faith and into the realm of knowledge, which is the glory of God (DyC 93:36). I suppose I'll need that glory to be able to be a representative of a Deity for the next two years, "in a manner that thereby the people might know in what manner to look forward to his Son for redemption" (Alma 13:2).

I am so ridiculously excited to go share the Spirit with the Argentines.

Love (for the last time from Mexico),
Elder Hill

Fotografías:

  • Yo mismo, enfrente del Templo, en la semana pasada.
  • El distrito, lo mismo dia.
  • Yo mismo.
  • Yo y Elder Ricks con un mensaje en el CCM.
  • Lo mismo, pero afuera del Templo, hoy.
  • Un patio nuevo en el CCM; es muy hermoso.
  • Lo mismo, pero más cerca. I also want to mention my tie clip; I got it today from a store right next to the Temple, and I got that one in particular because it reminded me of the Atoning blood of Christ (perhaps it´s hard to see, but it really is a blood red). Now, I will have that wonderful reminder every day when I don my corbata.









No comments:

Post a Comment