Monday, February 25, 2019

I will give unto you success (first full week in Pellegrini)

Friends, Romans, Countrymen,

This week has been insane. After we got back to Pellegrini from Mitre (which is where I was in San Rafael), we had a few days of normal work, which was basically the first "normal work" I've had because my companion is so incredibly busy, being the district and zone leader. And because of those callings, we're actually back in San Rafael today, too, in Balloffet. And now, because of all my time in the sunshine, I have developed a sunburn that outlines my glasses, which is weird because the sunlight streams down from above, but apparently the Sun doesn't care about geometry, so that's cool.

By the way, I forgot to mention last week that I encountered an Hermana Caldwell from Gilbert, who is currently in Tunuyán. I don't remember exactly who the Caldwells are, but I recognize the name, so I wanted to mention her. Oh, and there's also an Arizona here in Mendoza! I think it's somewhere near the eastern border of the province, but I don't remember.

And now for a brief section of puns. Firstly, I saw the movie Inside Out sitting on a desk today, and in Spanish it's called Intensa Mente, which is so funny to me because it means "Intense Mind", but "Intensamente" means "intensely", too. Then there's the fact that, by definition, everything I say is a blessing. The word for "blessing" is "bendición", which comes from "ben", meaning good, and "dición", which is from "decir", which means "to say". Thus, I am good by definition, and furthermore everything I say is a Bendición. Boom. There's also a funny pair of verbs that I want to mention: "casar" and "cazar". The first means "to marry", which is actually related to the word "casa", which means home; the latter means "to hunt". When I asked my maestros at the CCM about it, they jokingly said there was no difference. Yeah, I can definitely see that. Then there's also the fact that every tie I have is from one specific country, by some weird chance... They're from Tieland.

And I'm a dork.

Now for more details of my week. Basically, there's not much to say. We have given a handful of short lessons to various member families and one less-active family, but we don't have any new investigators except for the less-active family. That's wonderful, but it's not very exciting to say. We also discovered this week that our area of Pellegrini, which we had not had a map for until we printed one out ourselves this week, covers somewhere around 600-800 square kilometers, and also includes the cities of Bowen and Caramensa, which are 13 and 17 km away, respectively. Ouch. But hey, at least I'm working.

Now for the defining occurrence of the week: pride. Again. This whole week I've been feeling like my spirit was burning, kind of like friction; something was bothering me immensely, and I couldn't figure out what it was. It was really hurting after a couple of days, and I was praying to know what the problem was. Then one morning it came to me right after we left the pensión to go contacting: pride pride pride pride pride pride pride. I had thought before that I was humble enough to see my own pride and how far I needed to go, but apparently I was blind again. The problem was that I was trying to do this work my way, not His. I don't know how I never saw that before, but one way or another I see it now. The main problem, as far as I can tell, was that I was trying to make my daily schedule bend around me so I could study the things I wanted to study, like Jesus the Christ, the book of Abraham, awesome and sciency sections of the book of Doctrine and Covenants, etc. But it has finally worked its way into my heart that I can't do that any more; those are not bad things, but I now have something critically more important than they. This is the work of Salvation, and I was somehow trying to do God's plan my way; that obviously doesn't work. Thus, I still have such a long way to go in developing myself, and I hope I can always be teachable enough to be able to feel the rightness of such promptings and growths.

Another thing that is really interesting is that a part of my mind has still not accepted that other countries and languages and cultures exist. At times, I grow irritated because some irrational part of my subconscious can't accept that people actually speak other languages, and it all feels like some kind of enormous conspiracy or prank. Obviously, I don't really think that, but I don't think my subconscious fully believes that I'm not at home any more. That's a weird feeling.

Now, on a lighter note, I want to share the scripture that I referenced in the title, which has helped me be happier today: Alma 26:27. "Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success." There you go. Pure light in my soul. A promise of success.

I also want to say that I AM SO RIDICULOUSLY HAPPY THAT I HAVE A NEW NIECE. There are not powerful enough superlatives in English to express how happy I am that Olivia is here now. I already love her, and I've never even met her. Thank you so much for telling me about her nacimiento. Shirley, please let her know that I'm sending her all the love I can muster from this far away.

Guys, this mission is rough. I'm a gringo in the middle of Argentina, and I can't understand what anybody says, so my decent ability to speak is almost pointless right now. But I have never grown so much. I can't possibly imagine any way I could ever grow more efficiently than I am now, because I absolutely have to turn outside myself for help, because for the first time in my life I don't have the answers I need within myself. I really was pampered back home, what with everyone speaking the same language I spoke, and all. And speaking of the language, I have also found that my faith is severely lacking in the gift of interpretation of tongues by the Spirit, and I have realized that that is the reason I can't understand. I have seen miracles in how well I can speak, and I have seen the same in understanding, but the latter are in passing, like God is showing me what I can do if I trust more in Him. But I'm working on it, and I'm trying to step off that ledge of doubt.

I love the words of the song "Long Long Journey" by Enya, especially now, when the mission seems to me some looming, extremely long doom ahead of me. "Long, long journey through the darkness; long, long way to go. But what are miles across the ocean to the heart that's coming home?" I feel like I'm finally coming home to myself, and it took me moving to the other side of the world to do it. And besides that, two years will seriously pass is the blink of an eye, and I can even see that now; I have already completed nearly two months of my mission, and that's a twelfth! I'll be home before any of us know it. And, at this rate, what with my confused subconscious, perhaps I won't even realize I ever left. Now, THAT would be weird.

"Half a world away, with dirt on my shoes, the shadows find me there and bring the rain, and they leave my soul bruised. Broken and alone, heaven clouds over, and from behind I hear a song that reminds me of [Home]: I'll carry your burden, son, and take away all your fears. When you look up and see the light, you know I'll be here. When your knees can't hold you up, and your heart drowns in tears, then you'll look up and see the light; you know I'll be right here." - "The Woman Who Holds the World" by Our Future Selves (lyrics by Robert Hill).

Photos:
279: Hermanas en mi CCM distrito
310: Avion en nuestro viaje a Mendoza
327: Cerro de Gloria in Mendoza, my first day there
330: También
337: Yo y Élder Avila
340: Con la wacha
361: Mi pensión
365: Para que sepa, Madre, si quieres saber
366: Pensión otra vez
383: Jugando fútbol hoy












No comments:

Post a Comment