Monday, February 10, 2020

The Day of Rest, the Sabbath of the Lord

Friends and family,

This week was very wet. It was the single wettest week in my whole mission, with about the last five days being overcast and misty all day, with periodic showers. It is still overcast now. Rainfall has been extremely sorely needed in this province for months, so I am counting the many blessings.

We had a Tormenta Blanca in Dorrego this past Wednesday, which, if you don't remember, is when the whole zone comes to work in one area for a few hours. I was with Elder Ismael during that time, working near the pensión, and I did fifty contacts in the street that day by myself! Also this week, in total, I did 121 of them, which is a personal record. 

I gave a talk in Sacrament Meeting yesterday about the Day of Rest, and it went very well. Many people thanked me and said they learned a lot from me. I used as my main source of information and quotes the Institute book of the Old Testament, in the chapter on Exodus 20 - yes, there's an entire chapter of commentary on that one chapter. The Ten Commandments are surprisingly deep. I recommend that book to everyone, because I have learned so much from it. (It's available in the Gospel Library under the section for Institute, in case you're interested.) I talked a lot about the fact that the Day of Rest, as says a quote from Elder Spencer W. Kimball in the book, is a day when we are excused from the first commandment Adam received after the Fall, "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground" (Genesis 3:19). Sunday is an exception to that rule, and it is to be used for the work of God. As says Isaiah 58:13-14, if we observe the Sabbath day with full purpose of heart and mind, we will delight in Jehovah, and will participate in the inheritance of Jacob; and what is the inheritance of Jacob? It is exaltation. What a promise! But also, what a high standard the scriptures set for the Sabbath! It is beautiful, but it is also difficult. I challenge all of you to sanctify that day, devoting it to the Most High, so that you can find delight in the things of God. There are blessings beyond imagination awaiting us, if we would just accept the rest that God wants to give us.

With lots of love,
Élder Hill

Fotos:
  • En Consejo de Líderes este martes pasado; jugando ajedrez con Hna. Turley de Alvear, con la presencia honorable del Élder Ricks
  • Mirando la lluvia a través de nuestra puerta
  • Todos los líderes en el Consejo. (Note from Lani:  Ben is in the back row, about 1/3 from the left.)



No comments:

Post a Comment